OK, while making the pencil cases for donation, I made a step by step tutorial on how to make one. At first I want to make video tutorial, but the background was in big mess it is so disturbing, so I passed. Maybe later with some other project I'll make a simple video tutorial (don't know when, though.. hehehe). But anyway, back to the tutorial, this is what you need:
A zipper (I am using 8inch size),
2 piece of fabrics (A and B) in the same size (here is 8 x 5.5 inch) and,
another small piece of the same fabric (C) sizing 8 x 2 inch.
1) Fold a bit of the seam of fabric A and C, and iron it to fix the seam.
2) Sew the fabric to the zipper
3) You'll have this look after both fabric A and C sewn to the zipper.
4) Sew the end of the zipper. This is to make sure that the zipper trail is in balance (so that the zipper-teeth will not mismatch). Here, I sewn it with my label.
5) Then, with the right side is inside (and the wrong side is outside), pair the fabric A+C with B. Carefully sew the margin,
6) and lastly neat the end seam with serge.
7) Overturn it and you have made a pencil case.
8) You can use different size of zipper to variate the look of your pencil case.
Now, you know how to make it, go and find a zipper and some fabrics and make one. Make more so that you can donate it to the Back-to-School charity project as well. Happy trying :)